Podcast Advertising

Veritonic and Acast research shows the power of programmatic podcast advertising


New research from the audio analysis and research company Veritonic and the largest independent podcast business, Acast, has deconstructed the most effective methods of programmatic advertising for podcasts.

The study took a look at the most common strategies and the differences in advertising via podcast throughout EMEA, the US, Australia and New Zealand as well as EMEA.


In analyzing the podcast ads that were sourced programmatically via Acast across a variety of genres, tourism, automotive healthcare, and retail entertainment, they looked at the length of ads and the number of voiceovers and gender of voiceovers, the use of sound effects, call-to-action placements and much more.

“As an industry, there’s still plenty of scepticism related to programmatic ad purchasing,” said Elli Dimitroulakos, Acast’s Global Director for Ad Innovation at Acast.


“At Acast, we firmly believe that advertising through programmatic channels should be something other than a stale experience for the audio producer, the media buyer, and the listener. Podcast advertising is successful because it’s a seamless element that listeners experience that doesn’t have to change depending on the manner in which transactions occur.

“Programmatic ads can and should have – include creative elements that can enhance the user experience and build a relationship with the brand.”


The research indicates that the majority of advertisements were a minimum of 30 seconds long, and 56% of the programmatic ads lasted for a minimum of 30 seconds within Australia as well as NZ. The remainder of 44% on the market were between 15 and 30 seconds long.

“Hope isn’t a strategy, and it’s no longer sufficient for a company to design an audio asset and believe that it will move the needle,” said Scott Simonelli, the Director of Veritonic. Veronica.


“Having assurance that investments and marketing initiatives will be successful is essential, particularly in the current economic climate.”

“Acast has been pioneering automated purchasing podcasting for a considerable period, and it’s a segment which we have a business within Australia which is proliferating,” explains Managing Director for Australia & New Zealand, Henrik Isaksson.

“There are no differences in the quality between the purchase of an audio ads directly through our sales department as opposed to one sold using an automated process.


“A large portion of digital advertisements are sold through programmatic channels across Australia. While we invest more in partnership and new technology, we will continue to adhere to our commitment to support podcasters’ hard work, no matter how big or tiny they may be.”

“Hope is not a method. It’s no longer enough for a brand to make an audio asset and think that it will make a difference,” said Scott Simonelli, the director of Veritonic.

“Having assurance that investments and marketing initiatives will yield results is vital, particularly in this day and age of economic uncertainty.”


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *